Puritan's Pride Logo

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Saying goodbye

Nothing in my life is more gut wrenching than having to say goodbye to loved ones. Luckily our recent move has landed us smack dab in the center of most of our relatives and friends so saying goodbye doesn't happen as often as it used to. So goodbye Kleenex! Recently though, my niece started going back to her dad's for visitation. For over a year we didn't have to say goodbye or plan family activities around her visitation. I got used to having her with us all the time. Life was good, life was peaceful. My niece and I have had a special bond. She was the first little one I saw come into this world. Oh boy did she make an entrance! From that point on life has been all the sweeter. There is a special place in my heart for that brown eyed girl! It was her that made me want to be a mother. This past weekend she went back to her dad's. I had to say goodbye. It is a court ordered visitation. One that none of us agree with. Let me tell you, when you think America is the land of dreams and freedom of speech, sit back and listen to the stories of women who are going through custody battles with the biological fathers and see just how much freedom we really have. I am quickly learning that our society and judicial system does not care what a child thinks or feels. Their voice does not matter. It is alright for someone to commit a crime but as long as they are a biological parent they have rights to see that child. No matter how much danger that child may be put in. We try to raise our children to be strong and to have a voice. What do you do when the courts say their voice does not matter? How do you explain to a child that no matter how much they fear a person and feel invisible around that person it doesn't matter. They have to listen to the law. A law which is supposed to protect them. The law gets laid down and despite your fears and anguish you can not protect your child. Our judicial system is broken. Too many years of bullS@#! cases have crushed the system. Each case should be unique and treated according to circumstance, but not anymore. I am bitter, I am tired and I am not even the one who is in the fight. For years I have watched my loved ones fight for a normal life. A life with peace and contentment and normalcy. The peace flag had been waived, life seemed to be good but in a moment of anger and rage it all came crashing down. We thought at last no more goodbyes, but he escaped his judgement here on earth and the courts allowed him to be back in her life and now....... we are back to saying goodbye.

Something has to change. Our judicial system is broken. There are children all over this country who have a voice but are not heard. What are we teaching them? How are they going to grow up? This just isn't right.

No comments: